Skyscraper

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Donwoori - Best Korean BBQ in Melbourne

My name is Thanh, and I'm an addict, a kimchi addict. And for me, the best kimchi I've tasted (I haven't been to Korea or have any Korean friends who have invited me to their house for dinner) is from Donwoori. Donwoori (aka #secretkorean prior to the secret being let out) was first accidentally found by Agnes. And thank goodness she found the place. Ever since I saw her first tweet about the place, I quickly hauled my ever increasing body mass to this delightful little restaurant. This place is one of those hidden gems that you sort of want to tell people, but at the same time want to keep secret so you can go there without too much of a queue. Seeing as Agnes blogged it already, I may as well.

The restaurant is tiny and sits opposite Victoria Market. It's next to two other Korean BBQ restaurants and you might think it's part of the restaurant next door. But it is the corner place with a tiny sign. It's very small inside and probably sits about 20 people. The largest table seats 6 so I wouldn't go here with a group of 10 friends.


The restaurant does Korean BBQ as well as some cooked dishes. I usually order a combination of the two. The Korean BBQ here is amazing delicious and cheap. One of the set meals is $38 for two people and you will be completely full. There is a pork set menu, or beef or combinational one for 4 people. You can also order individual meats by the plate


Each set menu also comes with a soup. There's a soy bean soup but the standout is definitely the spicy beef and kimchi soup.


Service here is brilliant as they will constantly tend to the meats for you. They cook it and cut it up and keep changing the hotplate so everything is not all burnt. They also, get this, ask you if you want to refill your banchan constantly. Absolute win. The kimchi, as stated is sensational. But the pickled daikon and pickled vegetables are really addictive too. You can wash the food down with a few choices of beers or some sake.


There you have a wonderful meal for way under $30 (with drinks), full of delicious meats, soothing drinks, great service and endless kimchi to your heart's desires. Donwoori has well and truly replace Hwaro as my favourite Korean BBQ place and I've been back six times since, loving it more each time.

Overall Rating: 16/20, Fantastic Korean BBQ for a great price with excellent service.

Scores: 1-9: Unacceptable, don't bother. 10-11: Just OK,some shortcomings. 12: Fair. 13: Getting there. 14: Recommended. 15: Good. 16: Really good. 17: Truly excellent. 18: An outstanding experience. 19-20:Approaching perfection, Victoria's best.

Donwoori on Urbanspoon

8 comments:

  1. Looks great! I loove Korean BBQ as well. Have you tried WooGa just next door? It's been my fav Korean BBQ + Kimchi too but I need to come here to try this to compare now for fun *giving myself excuses to eat Korean food* =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so going there tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omGod. your gonna make the place SUPER crowded =P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was Donwoori :)

    YAY I love this place so much. Not much of a secret anymore, hah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winston, I have tried WooGa next door. That's pretty good but Donwoori is far better and a tiny bit cheaper.

    Vanessa, so did you end up going to the restaurant?

    Allan, well I want them to do well so I can keep going.

    Agnes, it's definitely Donwoori. I'm just a tad dyslexic. It's not a secret anymore for sure. We should get a referral fee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to know, buddy, thanks! Ben has been in my ears about finding a good Korean place, but I keep forgetting :P Done!
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. can I buy kimchi for take away guys? how much will it cost me.. I hope they have large container for kimchi too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Errrr think ud b better off getting that from a korean grocery

      Delete