Skyscraper

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Luxbite - Best Macarons In Melbourne?

38 Toorak Road
South Yarra, VIC 3141
Ph: 9867 5888
Website: Luxbite


The word "best" is very hard to use. For something to be the best, you have to had witnessed everything else and then definitively measure it against the others and be able to show its superiority. With sport, this mean winning the race or the tournament. With macarons, I think it can be measured by the number of blog posts.

Luxbite has only been around for a number of months, but they have definitely created a stir and captured the blogging hearts and mouths of Melbourne. Just look at the sheer scale of reviews by Serena, Penny, Ashley, Cindy, I-Hua, Liz and Michelle.

Let me start with my verdict and work my way back. I haven't tried every macaron in Melbourne, but from the many places that I have tried, I would say that Luxbite do the best macarons in Melbourne. The macarons aren't all perfect, in fact there are a couple I don't like. But the ones that I do like are spectacular. The flavour combinations are very innovative, presentation is good and texture the way I like it, slightly crunchy outside and soft inside. It gets close to the macarons from Pierre Herme and Laduree that I had in Paris. I thought the Luxbite macaron was still just a tad under those, but the latest macaron, the Vanilla Creme Brulee comes extremely close. My view is definitely biased by the memories of sitting in a Parisian park in the beautiful sunshine and munching on my macarons.



I love the way that Luxbite present their macarons, like jewellery. Yen and Bernard, owners and makers of the macarons, told me that they were so in awe of the Pierre Herme shops in Tokyo that the decided to start a shop themselves and model it on those stores. They are both classically trained at Le Cordon Bleu and have created a very defined image for their shop. It has a feel of luxury and elegance from the fitting of the store, to the displays, to the boxes that they use to store the macaron. Look at the beautifully backlit macarons in the special glass case they got made.


I went a couple of times and bought many macarons each time to try out as many flavours as possible.


I thought that the Kaya Toast was my favourite but I have a new champion, the super pretty Vanilla Creme Brulee. This one had a wow factor from both the looks and the taste. It is now my undisputed favourite.


Luxbite do quite a number of innovative flavours and here are my verdict on the ones I have tried:

Sensational
*Vanilla Creme Brulee - My favourite of all the Luxbite macarons. The sexiest looking and tasting macaron.

*Kaya Toast - Their house made kaya tastes great and there is definitely the toast flavour. Love it.

*Salted Caramel - Lovely salted caramel flavour and texture is fantastic.

*White Peach and Jasmine - I love this macaron as I adore peaches. And I think this one has the best texture too as the filling is a bit wetter and oozes together with the shell. The jasmine does shine through and add a fragrance.

*Raspberry and White Chocolate - Another one of my favourites, the raspberry really shining through the white chocolate.

Excellent
*Watermelon Yoghurt - This was the biggest surprise for me. I didn't think you could capture the essence of watermelon as it's quite a light flavour, but boy this macaron packs a punch in flavour, beautiful.

*Passionfruit - One of the best passionfruit in Melbourne. Very intense passionfruit flavour and I liked that it wasn't paired with chocolate as usual. I actually don't find the passionfruit/chocolate combination very nice.

*Vanilla Creme Caramel - A very good macaron with a nice flavour, but pales in comparison to his cousin the Vanilla Creme Brulee.

Good
*Rose & Lychee - I think it's quite good but the rose flavour is a bit too strong for my liking.

*Peanut Butter and Jelly - You gotta love peanut butter and jam together to enjoy this. Luckily I did. Tasted just like the sandwiches I used to make.

Dislike
*Strawberry Cream - I thought this was too sweet. Yes, it sounds stupid to say a macaron, made of sugar, is too sweet. But the filling was too much for me.

*Kaffir Lime - I love the flavour of the lime, but the extremely dry shell means I didn't like this one at all.

Untried
*Choc Cherry
*Toby's Mocha
*O-o-oreo
*Sicilian Pistachio
*Choc Freckles

Luxbite don't just do macarons though, they also do a lot of mouth watering desserts. The Caramel Slice with Salted Caramel Macaron is to die for, literally. You can feel your arteries clogging up as you dig into the super rich caramel with the ultra sticky chocolate layer. But man, I don't know what they do with the caramel but it's one of the best I've tasted. I tasted a hint of coconut and Yen confirmed that it did contain coconut. The Raspberry Tart was also very good, with fresh perfect raspberries sitting atop a good shortcrust pastry and pastry cream. I love the little snowflakes and snow sugar that just makes it look so adorable.



So there's my wrap-up of Luxbite. Whether they are the best macarons in Melbourne or not, it doesn't matter. I know which macarons I love to eat and will be going back to them many more times to eat them. Yen and Bernard are very generous with their time and will answer questions and take feedback. They are also very active on Twitter so let them know your thoughts.

LuxBite on Urbanspoon

11 comments:

  1. I actually think their other desserts are better than their macarons =/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well they're certainly much better than the ones we made - haha. Perhaps next time we get a stupid urge to try and make macarons, we should go down to Luxbite instead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love them! To be honest, after having Zumbo after Luxbite, Zumbo was a bit of a letdown... plus Zumbo's flavours which I had didn't speak to me as Luxbite's macarons had :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel that most of the macarons in Melbourne are too sweet to the point it overwhelms the original flavors. I hope Luxbite is not like that. So far, I had the best macarons in Cafe Vue. Flavors are very authentic but not sure about it now because the last time I had them was last year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the Creme Brulee sounds amazing. I need to start eating macarons more often!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Celeste, I love their desserts too but I think the macarons are definitely the highlight.

    Agnes, they're about 5000% better than our ones. That is the perfect plan, just go to Luxbite whenever we feel like making macarons.

    I-Hua, so Luxbite ones are better? I think the Luxbite flavours are mostly good and some fantastic.

    Michelle, go and try out Luxbite. I don't think they're too sweet, mostly. There are a few like that, but the rest are sensational.

    Julia, the creme brulee macaron is just out of this world, give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOLz, that was fast... this is clearly a catchup post =P. coz i dont remember u taking photos on the day LOL LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Allan, as if I would write that fast. This has been sitting in draft for months.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love their desserts and some of the luxbite flavours. hehe... going back for more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Penny, I must go back soon for more desserts as I haven't tried all of them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Having just tried Zumbo's in Sydney last weekend, I must say Luxbite's is quite good. The macaroon texture here is light, crisp on outside and soft inside.

    The only thing is Zumbo's is $2.50 each while Luxbite's is $3.00 each.

    Flavour wise, Luxbite has more Asian influence which I think is more adventurous than Zumbo's.

    ReplyDelete