Skyscraper

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Movida Steak Tartare

Movida is one of my favourite restaurants in Melbourne. I just can't get enough of the tapas that they serve. I only wish it wasn't so hard to get a booking there. One of the dishes that I really liked when I was there last was the Steak Tartare. It also looked like one of the easier dishes to make from Frank Camorra's Movida book.

I got all the necessary ingredients, some of which were a bit harder to obtain than others. The hardest thing to get was the Spanish sweet smoked paprika. A trip across town to Casa Iberica on Johnston Street previously had provided a big fiery looking packet of the paprika. All that needed to be done was to combine all the ingredients.

The taste was very good. I didn't have any quail eggs so used a regular chicken egg. This helped to coat the beef and gave it a very smooth mouth feel. I could still taste the flavour of the scotch fillet I used, as well as the other flavours all poking through. I added a lot more tabasco than a few drops, as I like it with a bit more of a kick. At Movida, they use Wagyu, which I should try next time. I think that would make this dish even better.



Movida Steak Tartare

INGREDIENTS
200g day old pasta dura or other firm crusty bread, very finely sliced
200g fillet steak
4 tbsp very finely chopped red onion
few drops of Tabasco to taste
2 pinches of Spanish sweet smoked paprika to taste
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp finely diced cornichons
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp chopped flat leaf parsley
pinch of sea salt flakes
sea salt flakes, extra, to serve
extra virgin olive oil, to serve
1 quail egg (I used a regular egg and that tasted good too), to serve

METHOD
1. Preheat oven to 180C.

2. Put the bread slices on a baking tray and bake for 5-10 minutes until crisp and golden.

3. Using a sharp knife, cut the meat into very tiny dice.

4. Put the meat, onion, Tobasco sauce, paprika, mustard, cornichons, extra virgin olive oil, parsley and sea salt in a bowl and mix thoroughly.

5. Serve in a bowl with a sprinkle of sea salt flakes, a little drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, raw egg on top and croutons. Mix the raw egg into the mince and spoon onto croutons to eat.

12 comments:

  1. Thanh, didn't they have it at Essential when you were there? I am sure they have it... I think you might even get it at Clayton Road Deli but I am not positive... I would any local deli close to you too... V x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fat Do,

    I hope Movida sues your giant ass for stealing and distributing their recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Thanh!!!

    I'm confused. Was this photo taken before or after the steak tartare passed through your lower intestine???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vida, they probably did have it at Essential, but I wanted to visit Casa Iberica to see what other stuff they had. Also, the price was probably only a fraction of what it would have cost at Essential.

    Can you believe I had bought some quince paste only a couple of weeks earlier for $5 for 100g at Oasis Bakery. Then I see the quince paste for $30 per kg at Prahran market, so I got a little from there. Then I find that Casa Iberica sells quince paste for $12 a kilo. Oh my goodness, have I been ripped off.

    Oblivion, I'm not stealing any recipe. I clearly say that it's Movida's recipe. Plus you cannot copyright a recipe.

    Anonymous Chef, you're making it too easy for me. Ok it's such an obvious joke but here goes.

    "I don't understand why you're confused Anonymous. You of all people should know what human intestinal by-product looks like, you serve it to your customers every day." Boom Boom.

    Ok, I'm going to go back to watching the Olympics now. You can think of a comeback. Hopefully its clever and funny rather than something like "you should know what by-products look like, you eat it everyday". Yawn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Fat Do,

    Great comeback!!! Give yourself a pat on the back and then go to dunny for your daily bogging to happiness!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanh,

    The only customer in my restaurant likely to ever recieve traces of faecal matter in theirfood will be you if you ever dare enter my restaurant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanh,

    I don't intend to insult your efforts in preparing the posted recipe, but I've got to agree with anonymous Chef, it does look 'Shitty'.

    Presentation help perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oblivion, thank you, thank you. I bog to happiness everyday.

    Anonymous Chef, well if you will tell me where you work, I will go and eat and give you my honest opinion of the food. If you put faecal matter into it, then I will just say that you food tasted like shit. Boom Boom!

    Melanie, it's very hard to make raw beef look good. Maybe I shall try adding a few sprigs of parsley on the top next time. Or maybe a raw egg over the top. Come over next time and I'll make some, then tell me what it tastes like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanh,

    The boom boom at the end of the sentence only works if it was funny. Yours are lame.

    And I don't think I would like to come meet you personally. After reading your blog for quite some time, I can tell you are not a very stable person.

    I don't want to be on Missing Persons Unit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melanie, you just didn't get the joke. You too should stop copying me and using boom boom as your jokes are even less funny.

    And talk about being stable, you're the one taking on multiple personalities commenting on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Thanh, thid recipe looks really good , thanks for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanh,

    Please point out which of my comments did I use boom boom.

    Anonymous Chef is right, you are a twit.

    This blog surely is a bog.

    ReplyDelete