Skyscraper

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Thai Chicken Wings

Besides preparing the Hummingbird Cupcakes for the Australia Day BBQ, I also needed to do something with chicken wings. I had been meaning to try Ellie's Chilli Lime Chicken Wings for ages, so now was the perfect chance. I love the middle section of the wing, skin on (yes its not as healthy but just doesn't taste as good without the skin).

The marinate was easy to make. I just smoothered the wings with it and left it to marinate overnight, turning it once to make sure all wings got the full marinate. I also cut a slit between the two wing bones so that the marinate could seep through the skin. The verdict on the wings is that they're very nice. They have the sharp tang of the lime and spicyness of the chilli that I love. I put in less chilli as I wasn't sure if everyone could handle hot. Next time when I'm making it for myself, I'm going to treble the chilli for sure. I would also add an extra spoon of sugar for a touch more sweetness. I was also lazy so didn't make the sauce to pour over it. Next time I will try that as well.


Chilli Lime Chicken Wings

Ingredients

Marinade
8 medium chicken wings (approx 1kg)
6 coriander stalks
6 garlic cloves
1 small red (thai/birds eye) chilli
1 tsp salt
2 tsp caster sugar
2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp lime zest
2 tbsp vegetable oil

Chilli Lime Sauce
100g caster sugar
125ml white vinegar
1 small red (Thai/birds eye) chilli, finely sliced
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
2 tbsp coriander leaves, roughly chopped

To serve:
Lime wedges

1. Using a mortar and pestle, pound together the coriander stalks, garlic, salt and sugar till you have a rough paste. Add the fish sauce, lime juice and oil and stir to combine well. Rub this into the chicken, making sure to get it into each cut, and then store the chicken in the fridge overnight to marinate.

2. Heat the oven to 220 degrees C, then place the chicken on a foil-lined baking tray and bake for 30 minutes, turning over after 15 minutes. Once they’re done, turn the grill on to about 200 degrees C and give the chicken a good blasting till they are crisp and golden on both sides (anywhere from 5-15 minutes) . Pour the chilli lime sauce over the wings and serve with some lime wedges as a wonderful finger food.

3. Making the chilli lime sauce - Heat the sugar, vinegar and sliced chilli in a saucepan and stir till the sugar has dissolved. Bring it to a boil and allow it to bubble and reduce down till it is slightly syrupy. Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice, fish sauce and coriander leaves, then set aside and allow to cool and for coriander to become infused in the sauce.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked the wings, but they are MUCH better with the poured sauce over the top, it'll help give the extra spiciness and sweetness that you were after :D

    Had a look through the bbq photos, looks like you had a fun day! Look at all that fooooood - nom nom nom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellie, I will definitely try it with the pouring sauce next time. I was too lazy to make the sauce this time and bring it along to the BBQ.

    It was loads of fun, ate so much I could hardly move.

    ReplyDelete